01278 264 405 or 0800 999 1286 (freephone) info@healthwatchsomerset.co.uk

Complaints & Advocacy

Making a complaint about health and care services in Somerset

NHS and social care complaints: Your rights

The right to complain about unsatisfactory service is a key consumer right. The NHS constitution makes a pledge to encourage and welcome feedback on health and care experiences and to use this feedback to improve services.

We know that it is not always easy to find the information you need to make a complaint, so below you can find our guide to making health and care complaints in Somerset.

If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact us

Share your views

Tell about a recent experience – good or bad

Guidance and practical resources

Advice on making a complaint

Healthwatch England has worked with Citizens Advice to produce a series of guides to help you make a complaint or raise a concern about health and care services. You can find out more about what’s involved in making a complaint and see what your next steps might be.

There are tips, tools and practical resources to support you to make an effective complaint.

Contact us if you need more information about this service.

Making a complaint

Guidance and practical resources from Citizens Advice

Advocacy support and guidance

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

SWAN Advocacy is the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Network and provides advice and support for people wishing to complain, or who have already complained about services provided by the NHS.  SWAN also cover all the statutory advocacy services: Care Act; Independent Mental Health; Independent Mental Capacity; Generic Advocacy; and Dementia Advocacy Service.  It is a free and impartial service.

Swan Advocacy
Hi Point
Thomas Street

Telephone: 03333 447928

Email: somerset@swanadvocacy.org.uk


Access independent advocacy services from SWAN Advocacy

Somerset Children’s Advocacy

Route1 Advocacy provides independent advice and support to children and young people receiving a service or entitled to receive one from Children’s Social Care in Somerset.  An advocate is an independent person who can offer one to one support to children and young people.  Advocates can speak up for the young person, give advice, make them aware of their rights, listen to them and represent their views, wishes and feelings.  Their aim is to empower a young person by supporting them to have their say.

This includes advocacy for the following: Complaints; Initial Child Protection (ICPC), Child Protection (CP) Plan reviews, Core Group meetings; Child Looked After (CLA) Reviews; Family Group Conferences; Leaving Care Planning; Child in Need Meeting; Transfer Conference; Education Planning meetings (PEPs).

Route1 Advocacy
Mendip District Council,
Cannards Grave Road,
Shepton Mallet BA4 5BT

Telephone: 01749 822801

Email: Route1IndependentVisitors@somerset.gov.uk


Access support from Route1 Advocacy

Somerset Children’s Advocacy Leaflet

Where to direct your complaint

Local contact information

Below are the key contacts should you wish to raise a concern or make a formal complaint about a service you have recieved from one of the local NHS Trusts, the Clinical Commissioning Group or Somerset Council.

In order to resolve your complaint effectively you should try to discuss your issue with the relevant local healthcare professional or care manager before making your complaint official.

Health complaints

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Block 51
Musgrove Park Hospital

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

Telephone: 01823 343536

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Level 3
Yeovil District Hospital
Higher Kingston
BA21 4AT

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Telephone: 01935 38470

Complaints and PALS Team

Complaints and PALS Team

Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group
Wynford House
Lufton Way
BA22 8HR

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Telephone: 08000 851067

Mental health complaints

Social care complaints

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Somerset Partnership
Mallard Court
Express Park
Bristol Road

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Telephone: 01278 432022

Comments, Compliments, Complaints

Comments, Compliments, Complaints

Customer Contact
Somerset County Council

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Telephone: 0300 123 2224

Need help?

If you need guidance on how and where to direct a complaint, get in touch with Healthwatch Somerset

My complaint still hasn't been resolved

If after going through the complaints process you are still unhappy with the response you have received, the final route you can take depends upon what service your complaint is about. The Ombudsman services are free, fair and independent.

Health complaints

For complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments and other public organisations.

Office opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm (except public holidays)

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Social care complaints

For complaints about councils, all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) and some other organisations providing local public services.

Office opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.00pm (except public holidays)

Telephone: 0300 061 0614