Somerset MaternityVoices Partnership
Working together to improve maternity services in Somerset
We are recruiting!
Last year 900 people shared their maternity experiences and views with us
Find out how we used your feedback to help develop better maternity care
Who we are
Somerset Maternity Voices Partnership (MVP) is an independent co-production forum for women, birthing people and families to share their experiences with maternity services in Somerset, enabling them to get involved in the design, improvement and implementation of those services. Somerset MVP is hosted and facilitated by Evolving Communities and supported by Healthwatch Somerset.
We exist to support the implementation of the NHS England Better Births plan across Somerset. We listen to and engage with those who have recently used our local maternity services and feedback their views and experiences to Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and the maternity service providers it commissions.
We work with independently led working groups including a committee consisting of women and their families, community groups, supporting organisations, local commissioners and providers. Working together we review and contribute to the development of local maternity care.
The Somerset MVP is chaired by Donna Butland.
What we do
- We support the implementation of the NHS England Better Births plan in Somerset.
- We host focus groups on specific maternity themes, to build an accurate picture of people’s experiences and needs.
- We listen to and gather feedback from communities across Somerset, especially those who are hard to reach or seldom heard.
- We ‘Walk the Patch’ and do the ’15 steps’ challenge within the local maternity units and hospitals, to check that the facilities and care meets the needs of the people using them.
- We attend local, regional and national events to network and ensure people’s voices are always heard.
- We provide critical friendship and accountability to professionals within the NHS Trusts, Council and CCG, who are involved in the Better Births transformation
Maternal mental health services
We are working on a project to design a new service to improve maternal mental health care in Somerset. We are currently working with a focus group made up of local people who have personal experience of maternal mental issues, for example fear of childbirth, birth trauma, pregnancy or baby loss, and other mental health worries during and after pregnancy.
We need your feedback
If you have had a baby in the last two years, please complete our survey to tell us about your experiences of maternity care. All responses will remain anonymous, and any identifiable information will be removed before any feedback is shared.
Take part in our survey:
What will happen to the feedback?
Responses from this survey will be used to feed back to the Local Maternity System (LMS) board to help them understand how to develop and improve local maternity care. LMS board members include Somerset NHS Clinical Commissioning Group commissioners and directors, heads of midwifery from NHS trusts and other providers of maternity services, consultant obstetricians, public health representatives and the chair of Somerset Maternity Voices Partnership. Your feedback will help us continue to work together on the transformation of maternity services in Somerset.
Get in touch with your questions and feedback
Please get in touch if you have questions or feedback about our survey, or any aspect of our work or maternity services in Somerset.